Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Advice from Ron Wolforth re: "Poison"

Here are some words of wisdom from Coach Ron Wolforth of the Texas Baseball Ranch.

"I often tell my children and my athletes...just because you can do something or you can say something...it doesn't mean you SHOULD do something or say something.

"Wisdom, judgment and constraint are closely related.

"Apparently to MTV...wisdom, judgment and constraint pale in significance to ratings. Recently they have produced a youth drama called 'Skins'...which ...MTV purports is a valid and accurate depiction of what is occurring in youth 14-18 Americana.

"Normally I would never watch any show on MTV but last week on the O'Reilly factor they had mentioned how irresponsible this show was...and while I was sitting in a hotel room in Baton Rouge Louisiana this weekend getting ready to speak...I saw it advertised for later that night...and I stayed up and watched it for 15 minutes...that's all I could stand.

"It is salacious and indecent. It has no redeeming qualities. It was pure junk...and in my 15 minute segment it had none of the apparent racy sex scenes. Of that at least I can be thankful.

"But what it did have was a scene of drug overdose...a stolen SUV and an automobile accident in which the vehicle was totaled but everyone walked away. How nice. EVERY adult in this drama was like Charlie Brown's teacher...you remember....WA...WA...WA Wa-wa.

"Why bring this up in our baseball segment? Because poison is absolutely everywhere. I COULD eat mud at the bottom of a chicken coop...but I don't think that's a good idea.

"I could have a Scotch and a Hershey bar for breakfast every morning...but I don't think that's a good idea.

"Poison comes in many forms...what we breathe...eat...drink...

"It can come through our skin...

"And a lot of the poison comes through our eyes and ears into our brains.

"The books we read...the music we listen to...the movies and TV shows we watch...and our interaction between our friends, family and teammates.

"I often ask our guys if it'd be OK to put just a little poison in their OJ at breakfast....not enough to make them sick...just a little smidge of poison...would that be OK?

"When they universally say No...I ask WHY?...it's just a little poison...they almost always say...no...that a little poison over a long time can be really bad.

"I agree 100%.

"My advice is to watch VERY closely for any poison...coming from ANYWHERE...but especially from supposedly innocuous TV shows, music on the radio or the ramblings and actions of your best buds.

"They say it is hard to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys...I believe that's absolutely correct.

"Stay away from poison...and stay away from idiocy...even if they've been your best bud since 2nd grade.

"I remind you wisdom, judgment and constraint are closely related...

"Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should."